At RCIA they mentioned that prayer is a grace that is given to us. It is a gift to be able to talk to God. I don't know if we think about it that way ALL the time. Sometimes I think we take it for granted (like many other things in our lives). What a wonderful gift our Lord has given to us - the gift to TALK to Him and to know that He is listening to us.
There was an acronym that I learned years ago that was included in our study on prayer. It is something that I particularly like and have taught to my youth Bible study groups. It's an acronym of different kinds of prayers and a recipe of how we should be praying (all types, not just one):
- A - Adoration (we should adore Christ and who He is)
- C - Confession (or Contrition)
- T - Thanksgiving (we have SO MUCH to be Thankful for)
- S - Supplication
Sometimes I tend to supplicate more than give thanks... and this simple acronym has always reminded me to adore God and give thanks for all He has done for me.
PERSONAL REFLECTION: Prayer should be central to our lives. It should be something we desire to do. It is a gift!!!
I like what Charles Stanley says about prayer in his 30 Life Principles. He says we should "fight our battles on our knees".
ReplyDeleteBut, you're right. So often we see prayer as a checklist of the things we need and want from God...the urgent requests in our lives.
I think He enjoys a simple 'thank you' as well because there isn't a day that we don't owe Him our sincere and heartfelt thanks.
I'm thankful for you and Kyle and this journey you're taking together.
Love,
Dad